What is Postcard Marketing?
If you’re like most businesses these days, you’re taking a step back to evaluate the most effective marketing methods that will meet your needs. Direct mail marketing has been a gem in the advertising crown for years, and for good reason. It achieves real results almost immediately. As you search for the right direct mail advertising method to meet your needs, though, one name is likely to come up again and again – postcard marketing. Not exactly sure how this works? This quick guide can help.
Postcard Marketing – Quick Facts
Postcard marketing is exactly as it seems. You design a simple postcard, mail it out, and reach thousands of prospects in one swipe. Wondering why so many people take advantage of this type of direct mail advertising? Here are just a few of the reasons.
- They’re easy to read. Direct mail marketing sometimes has one big problem – getting prospects to open the envelope. This does not occur with a postcard, though. There’s nothing to open, so it’s not an issue. Prospects can’t help but read it when they pull it out of the mailbox.
- There are not many competitors. Lots of companies have abandoned the world of direct mail in favor of electronic marketing. The reality, though, is that people are just as likely to respond to direct mail as they are any piece of email. Larger businesses, though, still favor email over direct mail, so you have fewer competitors in this market than you might elsewhere.
- Postcards have lots of options. No matter what size you want them to be, how many pictures you want to include, what color you choose, or the level of gloss you select, they can accommodate in a way that digital marketing cannot.
- Postcards are physical. Unlike an email, people can actually hold a postcard and that’s a powerful connection that online marketing cannot make.
- It’s affordable. Postcard marketing is cheaper than you think. It costs just twenty-three cents to mail a postcard and the printing costs are minimal. With the right company, you can even get free design services to help make your campaign even more effective. It’s the perfect package of print marketing and affordability.
Remember, good marketing doesn’t have to be expensive or intense. It can be as simple as dropping your prospects a well-designed postcard with a great offer on it. In an economy like this, that’s a good thing for start-ups and well-established companies alike.
Using Postcard Marketing to Grow Your Business
In today’s increasingly digital world, businesses are finding it more difficult to penetrate their target markets with effective marketing. People are constantly overloaded with online advertisements and emails that only capture their attention for a few seconds at a time (if at all).
So how do you reach potential buyers with a message that they’ll remember? The key is to give them something to look at on their own time, rather than for just a few seconds while they’re driving by a billboard or flipping through TV channels.
Direct mail marketing is a highly effective way to reach your target audience with a tactile, memorable message about your business. One of the best forms of direct mail is postcards, where you can fit a good deal of information to get people interested.
Postcard marketing offers the chance to showcase your company directly to your best potential customers. With advanced targeting options and in-depth tracking and reporting, postcards have a high ROI and leave a lasting impression of your brand.
Advantages of Postcard Marketing
Well-designed, engaging postcards help your business stand out. Because they’re delivered directly into the hands of your prospective customers, postcards have a unique advantage over many other forms of advertising.
According to a recent survey by the Direct Marketing Association, postcards have the second-highest response rates of all direct mail, with 4.25% of recipients responding (compared to 0.12% for email).
Postcards have proven effective across different industries, including automotive, insurance, and politics. They can be used to promote special offers, new locations, general updates about your business, and more.
With other advertising tactics, you only get a few words or seconds to convince people why they should give you a chance. But postcard marketing offers ample opportunity to highlight what your business does, how you help customers, and why people should choose you.
Recipients can digest the information on their own time, and even save the postcard to redeem a coupon or to remind themselves to reach out to your business at a later time when they’re ready.
As marketing and advertising become more data-driven, it’s also becoming extremely important to measure the results of your efforts. Postcard marketing is easily trackable, allowing businesses to evaluate the success of their campaigns. Reporting is readily available with built-in phone tracking and detailed reports.
Targeting Your Best Buyers with Postcard Marketing
Your advertising campaigns need to be as targeted as possible in order to see the most success. With postcards and direct mail, you can use demographic data to pinpoint exactly whom you’d like to reach.
Perhaps you’d like to get your message in front of people of a certain age, income, and/or location. Postcard marketing ensures that you’ll reach everyone who fits your target profile within a certain geography, and provide them with a lasting impression.
For example, if you’re opening a new car wash in a suburban location, you’d likely want to extend an offer to driving-age residents in nearby neighborhoods. With a postcard, you can make sure everyone in that target range receives information about your business.
Or maybe you’re running a dental office and looking to win back former patients. In that case, you could generate a list of those people, and send a postcard with a special “come back” offer.
No matter what your goals are, postcard marketing is a versatile method for earning new business. You have the opportunity to be narrow or broad as you like in your targeting, and to present a message that resonates with your ideal customers.
Postcard Marketing Campaign Ideas
One of the most valuable aspects of postcard marketing is the ability to create different types of offers and measure which ones are the most effective for your business.
If you’re unsure of what to include on your postcard, here are a few ideas to get you started.
Special or Introductory Offers
It’s always a good idea to offer your potential customers something that appeals to them. Introductory offers a great way to get new customers in the door and impress them with what you’ve got to offer. If they haven’t done business with you before, try sending them a coupon so that they can try out your products or services with less risk.
Announcements or Events
As your company grows, there will be important milestones that you should communicate to your customers. Whether you’re opening a new location, having an annual sale, or hosting an event, you can use postcards to keep your community in the loop.
Keeping your existing customers happy will help ensure the long-term success of your business. By providing them with discounts and special offers, you’ll hold onto their attention and keep them spending with you.
What Influences the Costs
For business owners, the cost is always an important factor to consider. If you’re running your own postcard marketing campaigns, there are several variables that impact the costs.
However, if you work with a direct mail company like Mudlick Marketing, all of these costs will be built in to your set package price.
Here are some of the inclusive elements you’ll receive when you work with Mudlick to run your postcard marketing.
- Design. Mudlick can help you create a vibrant piece of mail that’s based on data-backed design best practices and guaranteed to capture the attention of your recipients.
- Printing and mailing. Unlike other vendors, Mudlick doesn’t charge you per-piece for printing or shipping — which can comprise more than 70% of your costs with other bulk mail companies.
- List acquisition. Based on our data, we can help you create a mailing list to precisely pinpoint your best potential customers.
- ROI tracking. Our built-in reporting allows you to monitor the results of your postcard marketing and understand how it’s contributing to your bottom line.
All of these important features are included in the price of your package. We don’t have contracts or volume commitment, so you’re able to run your campaigns at your pace and within your budget.
We do it all!
Price includes (no contracts or volume commitment)
Compared to emails sent to existing customers, direct mail has 30X
the chance of receiving a response from the customer.
Direct Marketing Association
Ask About Our Affordable Payment Plans!
We Make Direct Mail Marketing Easy!
Our direct mail experts will help you maximize the effectiveness of your direct mail campaigns with a FREE
campaign analysis and a direct mail strategy. Call 866-745-1160 or
complete the form below. Our business hours are Mon-Fri 8:00am - 9pm ET.