The Importance of Direct Mail in a Customer’s Journey
We all like to say that life is about the journey, not the destination. However, if you’re marketing a product or service, that destination is pretty important! You need customers to decide that whatever you’re selling is worth their hard-earned money. It can be easy to focus on this destination, straining toward that point when you exchange goods or services for money, but you need to make sure you don’t neglect the journey. Direct mail marketing is uniquely equipped to infuse your customers’ journeys with opportunities to convert, and the more you know about your customers, the more effectively you can time your mailings. Well-timed mailings engage customers at key points during their journeys and create opportunities to convert!
Insights from Customer Journeys
In our last blog, we introduced customer journey maps, or CJMs. CJMs tell the story of your customer’s experience starting with the first contact through engagement and conversion. Hopefully, the map continues after the conversion to a long-term relationship. CJMs give you context that allows you to stick with your customers through every step of the journey instead of only at the destination. By identifying key interactions as well as your customers’ frustrations, motivations, and questions, you can understand your customers’ expectations, needs, and wants and then deliver on them. These insights are essential if you’re going to have success in today’s fast-paced society.
Why the Customer Journey is Important
While people will agree that understanding customers’ journeys is important, they may not be able to give you concrete ways it can boost your business. When completed thoughtfully, customer mapping can give your business the following advantages:
- The information needed to create a completely differentiated and unique experience for your customers
- An overall deeper understanding of what your customers expect, want, and need
- The ability to identify areas you can improve your business’s operations
- Higher returns on your investments due to satisfied employees and customers
- A true focus on the customer and organizational silo-busting
It takes work to create an optimal customer journey, but it’s worth it. In order to fine-tune your processes and marketing, you’ll want to consider the following steps:
- Have a meeting. You’ll want to include all the leaders from your company’s organizational areas to get their input.
- Engage your employees. Once the leadership is on board, you’ll need to make sure that your employees have bought into the improvement process, too. They are the ones who can implement the changes on those micro levels that matter the most, so you need them to be invested in the process.
- Handle information correctly. You’ll be collecting information and probably lots of it, so put energy into tracking, recording, validating, and disseminating the information so it actually makes a difference instead of sitting in a database somewhere. We can help you do this!
- Create the map and implement it. Make sure you share the information with your entire team, especially the employees who will be making it happen on the ground.
How Direct Mail Creates Unique Opportunities
Let’s explore an example. Say someone wants to take a tropical vacation. Chances are good they’ll do their research online, including exploring potential destinations, deals, and analyzing reviews. They will probably book their vacation online as well. So where does direct mail come into the process? Are there any opportunities for you?
Absolutely! Many people will wait to plan things like vacations until they get a clear prompting to do so. Others will plan way ahead of the vacation. Either way, your direct mail can be the impetus that gets them planning while using your product or service. Let’s say you run a hotel with a loyalty program. You can send out a bunch of beautifully-designed direct mail hotel deal offers with gorgeous images of your location. Anyone wishing to go on a vacation but unsure because of the cost will see the offer and may end up planning their entire getaway around your hotel. You just need to have a clear, broad offer, make it easy to respond, and, most importantly, send the mail out when your customer is looking for travel deals. Simple, right?
If this sounds like a particularly complex type of sorcery to you, you aren’t alone. Design, content, timing, and targeting are all essential to the success of direct mail marketing, and coordinating them takes a lot of work. The good news is, we have decades of experience and know how to make everything work together. Making the most of your marketing budget is easier when you have experts who can bring years of expertise to the table. Contact our team of direct mail marketing specialists today!
We do it all!
Price includes (no contracts or volume commitment)
Compared to emails sent to existing customers, direct mail has 30X
the chance of receiving a response from the customer.
Direct Marketing Association
Ask About Our Affordable Payment Plans!
We Make Direct Mail Marketing Easy!
Our direct mail experts will help you maximize your full market potential with a FREE
custom market analysis. Start growing customer count today! Call 866-213-3086 or
complete the form below. Our business hours are Mon-Fri 8:00am - 9pm ET.