The Do’s and Don’t’s of Direct Mail Marketing
Are you a business owner under 35? If so, have you ever entertained the thought of a direct mail marketing campaign?
We ask, because a majority of today’s young business owners have grown up in an increasingly paperless world. That means the idea of spending precious funds on printing and delivering thousands of pieces of paper probably seems absolutely crazy. If it seems crazy to you, we don’t blame you. It’s true that the world of business has moved into quicker, cheaper, more convenient forms of marketing and communication. However, trends represent opportunities to set yourself apart. The prevalence of electronic communication makes the mass mail service a bit of an oddity, which may give your business the attention it needs to succeed. However, one has to ask: does direct mail really work in the first place?
You have to do it right.
Though direct mail is the dinosaur of marketing, there’s a reason it’s been around so long: it works. In fact, it can be one of the most powerful weapons in your arsenal. You just have to do it correctly. The experts at Mudlick Mail know how to run successful mass mailing campaigns, and we want to share a few of the main do’s and don’t’s of our marketing world. Read on!
DO Test Your Market
Marketing is a science, and therefore requires trial, error, and thorough evaluation. You may feel like you’ve built the perfectly-targeted list, and it may be true, but you could be completely off. You won’t know until you do some tests. Now, testing isn’t as crucial if you live in a small community. However, if you’re marketing to a medium or large city, testing is your friend. Rather than busting your budget on covering every targeted individual in a city, select a smaller area and send your direct mail to them. By starting small and carefully measuring your ROI, you can fine-tune your campaigns for the highest effectiveness. At Mudlick Mail, we do this every day, and seeing how we can use your marketing dollars even more effectively is one of our favorite things to do!
DO Use the 40/40/20 Rule
Simply jumping into marketing and hoping it works is the fastest way to undermine your entire business. People who give up on marketing out of discouragement usually haven’t realized that, with enough preparation, testing, and persistence, you can market anything. At Mudlick Mail, we live out that truth every day. How do we do it? By not reinventing the wheel. There’s a tried-and-true rule called the 40/40/20 rule, and it’s foundational to what we do because it reveals just what goes into the success and ROI of our mass mailing efforts.
- 40 percent of your success will result from how effective your targeted mailing list is.
- 40 percent of your success depends on how compelling your offer is.
- 20 percent of you success comes from design, copy/text, images, delivery method, delivery date, etc.
We have two main thoughts about this rule:
Don’t spin your wheels around design
- Every situation is different, but as a rule of thumb, you should only give design 20 percent of your energy and attention. One of the most common mistakes that inexperienced business owners make is pouring time into flashy designs, rushing through mail list creation, and suffering bad ROI as a result. Don’t let that be you!
Focus on who your audience is and what will appeal to them
- Chances are good you don’t have bottomless pockets, so blanketing people who don’t need what you’re offering is a waste of everything. Work with your Mudlick Mail expert to narrow your list to the most effective target. After that, it’s time to carefully create a deal around your audience. You need to offer them something they can’t go without. Once your list and offer are lean and mean, you can dive into factors like delivery dates, postage rates, copy, and more.
DO Get Experts on Your Side
As a small business owner, you face many challenges. Though you probably have plenty of marketing companies clamoring for your marketing budget, it’s important to find the company that will give you the highest ROI. In order for a marketing company to do that, they have to understand your business and share your passion for success. Mudlick Mail is that marketing company. We are passionate about serving the small business sector with our years of mail marketing experience and expertise. Contact us today!
We do it all!
Price includes (no contracts or volume commitment)
Compared to emails sent to existing customers, direct mail has 30X
the chance of receiving a response from the customer.
Direct Marketing Association
Ask About Our Affordable Payment Plans!
We Make Direct Mail Marketing Easy!
Our direct mail experts will help you maximize the effectiveness of your direct mail campaigns with a FREE
campaign analysis and a direct mail strategy. Call 866-745-1160 or
complete the form below. Our business hours are Mon-Fri 8:00am - 9pm ET.