The digital world has made many things extremely convenient. From finding restaurants, to determining if a product is worth our money, to knowing what is happening in the world at any given moment, we benefit from the internet every day. However, everything has a downside, and the digital world is no exception. One of the internet’s biggest downfalls is the lack of reality. This hits especially hard in the business world.
The marketing side of the internet is a sea of legitimate ads adrift in fraudulent ones, and the fraudulent ones are doing all they can to seem legitimate. When you market electronically, you’re engaging a sphere saturated with spam, troll farms, fake ads, phishing attacks, and other types of ad fraud that trick and burn consumers every day. Because the fake content is designed to look legitimate, it is practically impossible for consumers to tell a real business from a fake one. As a result, many customers disengage completely. This is an unfortunate case of a bunch of unscrupulous people ruining things for honest business owners, and the result is an entire market of standoffish, skeptical consumers. If you want to gain traction for your business, you’re going to need to come at your consumers from another angle: direct mail marketing.
Just How Bad is the Situation for Digital Marketing?
- Digital fraud has a major, negative impact on both consumers and advertisers. According to Statista, an average of 269 billion emails will have been sent each day in 2017. By 2021, it is estimated that 319 billion emails will go out each day. But how many of those emails are spam? Email is, after all, a major communication method for lots of people, so it can’t all be spam. While it is true that some part of our email traffic is legitimate, spam made up 59 percent of 2017’s email volume — a staggeringly huge number. How did over half of our email volume get taken over by pointless wastes of time?
Email is Cheap
- Our email accounts are besieged by spam and fraud because email services are relatively cheap. That means the barrier for entry is really low, and it is very easy for bogus entities to send out tons of spam. Consumers get caught between spammers and businesses doing everything to wring every last dollar out of them, and the nonstop emails have quickly led to consumer email fatigue. People just don’t want to see your emails anymore.
Digital Fraud Hurts Advertisers, Too
- Consumers aren’t the only ones negatively affected by digital fraud. It bites advertisers, too. According to a report by the Association of National Advertisers (ANA), click fraud scams are everywhere and the fake impressions created by bots will cost advertisers $6.5 billion in 2017. That is a bunch of marketing budgets belonging to hard-working business owners evaporating into nothing. That can take a business under, and this isn’t acceptable when there are other ways to effectively get the word out about your business.
Why Direct Mail is Your Solution
In order to run a successful business, you need to be able to make a persuasive case for your product or service. You also need that case to be heard by your customers. How do you ensure your prospective customers know who you are and that you are legitimately there to make their lives better? The answer is in the mailbox, and it always has been!
- While digital marketing continues to embroil itself more deeply into a world of uncertain reality, direct mail has already proven itself with an 80 percent (or higher) open rate. Direct mail is real and solid, and because it doesn’t happen without specialized resources and knowledge, it cannot be phony. Recipients can trust the direct mail they receive, and the marketers who send it out can trust that the responses they get are real. Bots can’t send or respond to direct mail! Instead of throwing your money into a void and crossing your fingers, you can use direct mail to make an investment that actually delivers.
- Beyond the massive advantage of actually being able to be held in your hand, direct mail is the premier method for targeting prospective customers because it can work with digital marketing. It actually makes digital marketing more credible, doing the work that digital marking can’t do for itself. If you are in the crowd that has dismissed direct mail in favor of digital, you are not using your marketing budget correctly.
- Direct Mail Marketing is also proactive. Instead of waiting for potential customers to search for your product or service, then hoping they select your ad, Direct Mail proactively targets your best prospective customers with a compelling offer tailored to win their business.